Friday, March 19, 2010

Pete's Poppies & Bespoke Verse

Yesterday we heard the lovely Samantha Rogers from Pete's Poppies talking to Lorna Milton on BBC Three Counties Radio. Although not a mum herself, Samantha is a young entreprenuer and has been instrumental in our More Than A Mama fayres. On the occasions where she hasn't been exhibiting her beautiful flowers and country style home wares, she has still been there helping out behind the scenes! Pete's Poppies is located at 102, High Street, Berkhamsted, contact them on Tel.0808 144 0808. Listen to Sam's radio interview again by clicking on this link. Samantha will be at the More Than A Mama Fayre next friday.

Today's radio interview is with local mum, Jo Miller, founder and creator of Bespoke Verse, a unique service composing tailor-made poems for all occasions, be it a Best Man's Speech or a Birthday, Jo has it covered.

We spoke to Jo recently to find out more, she said,
"I’m a Mum of three (ages 6, 4 and 1) and turned 40 this year.  Before having a family, I worked as an English teacher and adviser.  Poetry was my bread and butter!  My very supportive friends and husband encouraged me to set up ‘Bespoke Verse’ after I wrote a speech in the form of a poem for my wedding.  Friends started asking me for poems for their special occasions and eventually, the Bespoke Verse website was launched in June 2009.   I have been busy ever since, with a stream of interesting commissions from christenings to civil partnerships, 40ths to funerals."

As for her inspirations,
"Roald Dahl is my literary inspiration – those familiar with his poems will recognise that we use the same style (rhyming couplets, of which Dahl is the master).  Writing poems is a welcome escape from domestic chores, and I find it satisfying having a project of my own.  Every poem is different, and it is fascinating finding out about other people’s lives, and great fun being part of a surprise for them."

Her best sellers are......
"Poems commissioned for birthdays are my most popular request, whether it’s a 40th, 60th or 90th.  Most poems are 2-3 pages long and are composed using the background information provided by the client.  Humour is definitely a feature of my work, although often there are a few tears, too.  I spend lots of time talking to clients and sharing my rough drafts with them, so I know they are getting exactly the sort of poem they want."

Bespoke Verse will be at the More Than A Mama Easter Fayre, a week today, at Berkhamsted Town Hall, Friday 26th March from 9.30am - noon.
Visitors to the fayre will be able to read lots of her poems and testimonials and chat to Jo about the process. Bespoke poems make very original and personal gifts, especially for that hard to buy for relative or friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment